Wednesday 24 October 2012

The ASPECT method

The ASPECT method

Quiet time is one of the most essential aspects of your Christian life. Many Christians take some time reading the bible everyday. While it is very useful, just reading the bible will not lead you to much fuller Christian walk with Christ. You need to spend time in his words, study and learn from it everyday. Without daily regular quiet time, our spiritual life can be seriously malnourished just as our body can be mal-nutritioned without proper food and water! I often wonder when people talk about forgetting to do their quiet time due to busy schedule; I have never found anybody who forgot to eat for a day due to work!

Here I am presenting simple steps for how to do your daily quiet time:

Time: Quiet time should be about 10-15 minutes long. You can choose time according to you schedule. For some, morning works better, for others, night may work well. While, I recommend the morning time as you are much calmer and fresh, any time can work fine. It is also important to set fixed time everyday, as it brings discipline and consistency.

What do you need?
Your bible, note and pen. You can occasionally refer to bible commentary or dictionary for difficult passages of bible (Free bible study resources). But I would recommend studying bible as it is and ask God for his guidance to understand the passage. It is a very good practice to take notes in your quiet time. You will be amazed when you will see your quiet time notes years later!

How To do Quiet Time?

Start with prayer:

Spend just few minutes in worship and thanksgiving.

Spend some time in asking God for forgiveness for our sins.

Ask for his guidance in todays quiet time

 

Passage for Quiet time: It is good to select any book of bible and read it continuously. It will help you to get the whole picture and can enjoy your quiet time more. 

Select about 8-10 verses, don’t select whole chapter, as you may not be able to cover it all. Select small paragraph according to passage.

Read the paragraph for 2-3 times. This bible study method is also called ASPECT method. From the paragraph, ask following questions.

A About God What can you learn about God through this passage?

S Sin Does it talk about any sin?

P Promise Is there any promise in the word?

E Example Is there any example, I can follow?

C Command Which command I need to obey?

T Teaching What can I learn from this passage?

 

Concluding Prayer:

Thank God for his guidance in quiet time

Worship God for his characteristic

Pray for deliverance from any sin

Ask for strength for the day.

 

9 comments:

  1. Thank you for this blog post! It helped me refresh my understanding of ASPECT! I'm trying to refocus my life on Christ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting!
      I'm delighted you found this helpful - I wrote this entry five years ago, and I'll be honest I'm still using the ASPECT method, though I ought to write another blog about how I use it now.

      How's the refocusing on Christ going?

      Delete
  2. Thank you for his method. I'm sure this will hep me grow in my spiritual life..... Good

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very useful. Thank you for this. Using it now

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this method. This is very useful to me and others.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you very much.very useful method.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good nice and helpful to build our faith

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is really very useful method for meditating God's word...

    ReplyDelete